Complete Bed Bug Control & Prevention In The Chicago Metro Area
Bed bugs are pests that leave many people concerned, and for good reason. Outbreaks and infestations have been on the rise in the Chicagoland area, and it's entirely possible for your home or business to end up infested with these tiny pests.
Knowing some basic information about bed bugs is wise, as it can help you identify an infestation in its early stages when it is much easier to treat. Below is the information you need to know about bed bugs, including how Aerex Pest Control can help in the event of an infestation.
What Do Bed Bugs Look Like?
In their early stages of development, bed bugs are translucent and nearly invisible to the naked eye. As they begin to feed, they go through several stages of development before becoming adults. Each stage makes them larger and darker than the stage before. Eventually, bed bugs become rust-colored and about the size of an apple seed. Through the stages of development, they can range in size from one to five millimeters. Bed bug bodies are broad, oval-shaped, and flat, but they become swollen and slightly elongated after a feeding.
What Are The Habits Of Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs are stealthy. That is why infestations often go unnoticed for weeks or even months. They know to hide during the day (in couches, mattresses, window frames, etc.) and usually make their way towards humans only at night while we sleep. They can bite more than once and typically return to their hiding places after feeding. They don't fly, nor do they have nests like other insects, but they do like to congregate in groups.
What Are The Signs Of A Bed Bug Infestation?
A bite is most often the first telltale sign of bed bugs. It may appear as a single bite or in a cluster, is usually a raised red bump, and is often itchy. However, it's important to note that finding an insect bite on your body does not necessarily mean that you have bed bugs. Always look for additional signs, such as those mentioned below, and contact a professional bed bug exterminator for assistance.
Other signs of a bed bug infestation include physical evidence such as casings, droppings, or blood spots. You'll usually find these signs where bed bugs spend most of their time. Common areas to check for a bed bug infestation include:
- Mattresses and box springs, especially along the seams
- Between the mattress and headboard
- In the seams of furniture
- Around window frames
- Behind picture frames
- Inside electrical outlets
What Do I Need To Know About Bed Bug Infestations?
Knowing a few key things about bed bug infestations can help you understand how they can quickly grow out of control and why professional bed bug control is vital when an infestation is detected:
- It only takes one pregnant female to start an infestation. If you or someone else accidentally brings a bed bug into your house, it's enough to create a major problem in the weeks to come.
- Bed bugs can survive rather extreme temperatures, which means that, unlike many insects in our area, they can handle being outside in the winter for a while before dying. Because of this, they can usually survive a trip from one location to another, regardless of the time of year, making your home or business susceptible to an infestation all 12 months of the year.
- Bed bugs can survive for several months without a meal. If they sense danger, they can go into hiding and wait it out until they think it's safe to come out. Because of this, it's vital that your bed bug control fully eliminate the infestation so that the problem doesn't return in a few months' time.
Aerex Pest Control Has Your Chicago, IL Bed Bug Solution
The pest control experts at Aerex understand the importance of timeliness when it comes to bed bug control. If you've seen signs of an infestation, even if you're not 100% sure, contact us right away. We can inspect your home to determine if an active bed bug infestation is present or not. We can then provide you with the treatment you need to eliminate the infestation in its entirety.
To learn how we can help with your bed bug extermination and prevention needs, give us a call or click below to get a free quick quote. We also recommend heading over to our Resource Center to see what preparations you must do before we can perform bed bug extermination in your home.
Request Your Free Inspection
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection.