Hornet Or Wasp?
A lot of people seem to be confused about the differences between hornets and wasps. In fact, hornets are a subfamily of wasps, and they're the largest type of wasp in the world. They are characterized by their large size, their aggressive behavior, and their ability to sting multiple times.
You can identify a hornet by its large, round body and its orange and black stripes. Hornets are larger than most other types of wasps, with a wingspan of up to two inches. If you see a wasp that is this large, it's probably a hornet.
Three Problems Hornets Cause
Here are a few of the most common problems that hornets can cause on your Chicago property:
- Stinging: Hornets have a very painful sting, and they're not afraid to use it. If you're allergic to wasp stings, a hornet sting can even be deadly. Hornets will fiercely defend their nests, and if you're allergic to wasp stings, you should take extra caution around these pests.
- Making noise: Hornets are known for making a loud buzzing noise, and this can be very annoying for both people and animals. If you have hornets on your property, it's important to get rid of them as soon as possible to reduce the amount of noise they're making.
- Causing property damage: Hornets can cause property damage by chewing on wood and other materials. If you have hornets on your property, it's important to get rid of them as soon as possible to prevent them from causing any more damage.
Hornets on your property can be a big problem, but fortunately, there are some simple things you can do to prevent them.
Homeowner's Guide To Avoiding Hornets
Here are a few easy things you can do to avoid having hornets on your property:
- Keep food and garbage away from your home. Hornets are attracted to the smell of food, so it's important to keep your trash cans clean and your food covered. If you have fruit trees on your property, make sure to pick up any fallen fruit as soon as possible.
- Seal up any openings. Hornets can enter your home through small openings, so be sure to seal any cracks or holes in your foundation and walls. You should also make sure that your windows and doors are properly sealed.
- Keep your yard clean. A well-maintained yard is less attractive to hornets and other pests. Make sure to mow your lawn regularly and remove any dead leaves or branches.
If you follow these simple tips, you can avoid having hornets on your property. However, if you already have a problem with hornets on your property, or have spotted a nest, it's important to take action as soon as possible.
What To Do When DIY Hornet Prevention Fails
Trying to remove hornets on your own can be dangerous, and it's often ineffective. If you're struggling to get rid of hornets on your property, the best course of action is to call a professional pest control company. Aerex Pest Control has been dealing with hornets and other pests in Chicago for over 70 years. Our experienced technicians will be able to quickly and safely get rid of the hornets on your Chicago property and take steps to keep them away.
When it comes to hornets, it's better to be safe than sorry. If you think you may have a hornet problem, don't hesitate to give us a call to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Chicago. We're always happy to help.