Are The Rats In Chicago Difficult To Deter?
January 20, 2023
You're not alone if you're dealing with a rat infestation in your Chicago home. These pests enter our homes for food, water, and shelter and can multiply rapidly into a significant infestation. If you suspect a rat infestation, or even worse, you've seen signs of rats in your home, there's no time to waste. Contact the Chicago pest control professionals to handle the infestation right away.
Clear Signs Of A Rat Infestation In Your House
Rats will enter your Chicago home in search of food, shelter, and water. They are scavengers, and if they have these essential things, they plan on staying in your home for good.
It is important to be on the lookout for some telltale signs of a rat infestation. These include:
- Rat droppings: Look for droppings in kitchen cabinets, drawers, pantries, cupboards, bins, storage areas, and any other area where rats might find a food source.
- Noises: Rats are mainly active at night, so they listen for scurrying and squeaking sounds inside the walls, attic, or cellars.
- Trails and tracks: Rats tend to leave tail tracks and footprints as they move around your home, so if you see either, it's time to contact pest control professionals.
- Smudge marks: Rats also leave smudge marks along baseboards and walls, creating grease and dirty streaks where they scurry, giving you a sign of their presence.
- Gnaw marks: Rat markings are typically found on hard surfaces such as the floor, rafters, siding, and near pipes and ducts. Wood is one of a rat's favorite items to gnaw on, so cabinets, door frames, window frames, and baseboards may all show signs of gnaw marks.
- Damaged packaging: Rats chew on anything they think is food, so look for holes in food packaging, such as pasta, beans, rice, or other grains.
- Nests and burrows: Rats will build a nest in a secluded space close to food, generally in a dark, unused, and comfortable home area.
If you find any of these signs of a rat infestation in your Chicago home, it is critical to act quickly for rat removal.
The Damage And Dangers Rats Can Cause In Your Home
Having rats in your Chicago home can cause several problems and should not be left to linger. As rats invade your home, they can cause significant damage to your property. They frequently chew through electrical wires, destroy insulation, and leave urine and feces everywhere. Rats cause widespread damage to building materials and personal belongings with their chewing and contamination. Rats can also spread diseases that are dangerous to humans and pets. Some health issues linked to rats include hantavirus, Lassa fever, leptospirosis, and salmonellosis. In addition, they can contaminate food storage and preparation areas.
Helpful Tips To Prevent Future Rat Infestations On Your Property
The best way to protect your Chicago home is to prevent rats from getting into your Chicago home. Some of these prevention tips include:
- Fill cracks, holes, and gaps.
- Remove all possible food sources.
- Eliminate potential nesting areas.
- Trim trees, limbs, and shrubs back four feet from your home.
- Set traps inside.
- Repel rats with essential oils.
- Reduce clutter inside and outside of the home to minimize places where rats can hide.
- Remove trash from your home daily.
- Maintain a clean kitchen by regularly washing dishes, sweeping crumbs on the floor, and putting away leftover food.
While these methods help prevent rats from entering your home, a Chicago rodent control professional can provide more comprehensive preventative treatments.
How Do You Get Rid Of Rats?
Partner with a professional to get rats out of your home and away from your food and family! At Aerex Pest Control, we have over 70 years of pest control experience! Our family-owned and operated business is committed to helping people protect their properties from rats and other rodents in Chicago. Through our biannual treatments, our professionals will eliminate rodents from your property and stop them from returning in the future. If you want to discover more about our residential or commercial pest control services in Chicago., contact us today!