The Secret To Keeping Ticks Away From Your Chicago Yard
April 14, 2021
Pests who drink blood from humans and animals are some of the most lethal. The reason for this is that going from host to host increases the chances of disease transmission. It’s difficult to detect these kinds of bugs, much less manage their outdoor populations. They’re typically tiny and don’t bring attention to painful bites. In most cases, you’ll only see the red bumps, lesions, or inflammation they leave.
Ticks are among the impactful bugs that draw blood and communicate illnesses. Chicago home and business owners need to stay abreast of local species, so they can develop a preventative plan. Furthermore, it’s important to know what risks are involved. Get this information now, along with relevant details on Aerex Pest Control.
What Ticks Are Common in Chicago? What Are the Dangers?
Deer and American dog ticks are two of the most prevalent in the region. As evidenced by their name, deer ticks fixate on those animals and other livestock. Any blood at all will suit them just fine though and they won’t pass up a human or household pet. These pests are red-brown or brown, with eight black legs. The latter feature is why they have the alternate title of “black-legged ticks.” Their bodies are 0.14 to 0.20 of an inch long. However, the females can bloat to 0.39 of an inch after a feast. Not every bite from a deer tick will end with a Lyme disease diagnosis, but the fact that they carry the related bacterium for it is enough incentive to be cautious.
American dog ticks have a second name as well; “wood ticks.” Like the deer subgroup, they have four pairs of legs and the same color skin. They are a similar size too. A key distinguishing characteristic is that the females can swell to 0.59 of an inch long.
Other crucial facts about ticks are:
- Where They Live: Ticks settle in woody and grassy areas with an abundance of humidity and shade. Plots full of animals are usually covered with these arachnids. Keep your eyes peeled in such zones. It doesn’t take much effort for a tick to cling onto you or a pet. Also, be mindful when out on lawns.
- What Their Bites Are Like: Once more, you won’t feel it when a tick bites you. For removal, use tweezers with a fine point. Avoid twisting or jerking the bugs, and don’t smash the body. If you begin to feel unwell, seek medical attention immediately. Major symptoms are headache, nausea, fever, breathing complications, and weakness.
- What Diseases They Bring: Ticks are associated with the heartland virus, tularemia, ehrlichiosis, and many other potentially fatal conditions.
How Are Ticks Prevented?
You can ward off ticks by doing the following:
- Mow your lawn regularly, and get rid of organic debris
- Before going outdoors, use tick repellent products
- Wear pants and a long-sleeved shirt if you’re going into a tick-heavy space
- Put on long socks and boots as well
- Inspect your clothes and skin before coming indoors
- Examine your domestic animal’s hair
- Talk about tick deterrence and treatment with your pet’s veterinarian
- Groom the fur of all your animals and pets on a routine basis
- Call Aerex Pest Control if you have critters that ticks could have as a host, such as a rodent
What Can Aerex Pest Control Do About Ticks?
We at Aerex Pest Control offer our affordable services every day because we understand how critical issues can be. Our certified and licensed technicians have the skills to quickly identify tick species and any vulnerabilities on your property. Our treatments are industrial-grade, but also safe. Call us today at Aerex Pest Control to get things going! Guarantees are attached!