What Does A Bed Bug Infestation Mean For My Chicago Household?
March 25, 2022
Bed bugs aren’t the kind of pest that homeowners can ignore for long. These pests inhabit areas around where people sleep, such as on and around bedding and couches, so they can feed on people and pets as they rest. The aftermath is usually an itchy rash, which can be severe in the case of an allergic reaction.
If you suspect you may have bed bugs in your Chicago home, you’ll want to get rid of these pests fast. Read on for more about whether having bed bugs in your Chicago home means it’s dirty or whether bed bugs travel in on clothes. Get a few tips on bed bug control for your Chicago home and how to get rid of bed bugs in your Chicago home quickly.
Do Bed Bugs In My Chicago Home Mean It’s Dirty?
One of the biggest misconceptions about bed bugs is that households with bed bugs are dirty. The truth is that even the cleanest of homes can experience bed bugs, although unhygienic conditions may encourage sustainment and growth of the current infestation. Also, bed bugs can attract other pests, such as ants, spiders, and centipedes.
Do Bed Bugs In Chicago Travel On Clothes?
Yes, one of the ways that bed bugs travel in Chicago and elsewhere is on clothing and personal items, such as backpacks, purses, and luggage. In many cases, bed bugs are unknowingly and inadvertently picked up from high-traffic areas and then brought carried indoors. These areas include:
- Schools and dormitories
- Office buildings
- Planes, trains, and buses
- Hotels, motels, and other lodging accommodations
- Nursing homes and hospitals
- Movie theaters
Another way that bed bugs travel is through the sale or exchange of secondhand items at consignment shops and yard sales that are already infested, particularly upholstered furniture.
What Are Some Bed Bug Control Tips For My Chicago Home?
It’s nearly impossible to entirely prevent a bed bug infestation, as these pests commonly gain entry into the home from the places that residents frequent. However, there are a few preventative measures that you can follow to avoid bringing these pests into your Chicago home. Here are four:
- Vacuum Regularly: If one or two of these pests accidentally found their way into your home, vacuuming regularly can help to ensure that a few bed bugs don’t grow into a more extensive infestation.
- Don’t Store Clutter Underneath Or Around Bedding: The more clutter there is, the more opportunities for bed bugs to hide and thrive by keeping close to mattresses and thus areas where people sleep. It’s also possible to accidentally store an item that’s been infected with bed bugs underneath the bed, which can lead to a more significant problem.
- Carefully Transport Luggage When Traveling: Before returning to your home after a trip, cover luggage in a luggage bag. Upon returning, vacuum the interior and exterior of the luggage, and wash all clothing, clean and soiled.
- Avoid Bringing Home Furniture: Finding free furniture via dumpster-diving or curbside is always interesting. The allure of free furniture can be tempting, but these items can likely be infested with bed bugs or other pests, so it’s best to avoid them if possible.
How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs In Your Chicago Home Fast!
The most effective way to get rid of bed bugs in your Chicago home is with help from professionals. The pros at Aerex Pest Control have more than 70 years of experience removing bed bugs and other pests from Chicago homes and businesses, and we offer a pest-free guarantee.
If you suspect you have bed bugs or other pests, call Aerex Pest Control today at 847-255-8888.