Why You Should Get Ahead Of Ant Infestations In Chicago
April 5, 2022
Can you think of reasons why ants might want to invade your Chicago home? Most people believe that ants only come indoors to search for food. Although this is a common reason, this isn’t the only thing that drives these annoying insects inside. Some ants invade to escape negative conditions outdoors such as when it becomes too hot, too cold, or too wet. And then there are some species of ants that chew tunnels into structural wood to build their nests. If you have not taken time to answer questions like how many types of ants are there in Chicago? Or are ants dangerous? We are here today with some things you should know.
The Types Of Ants That Invade Chicago Homes
Ants, from a distance, do not look very different from each other. If you get a closer look, however, you might start to wonder how many types of ants are there? In total, there are over 10,000 species of ants around the world. Thankfully, there are not nearly this many species here in Chicago. To make things simple, here are three of the most common home-invading ants in our area and what they look like.
- An odorous house ant is 1/16 to ⅛” long, brown to black, and has an unevenly shaped abdomen. Further identify this pest by the coconut-like smell it releases after being squished.
- A pavement ant is ⅛” long and brown to black in color. These pests live in large social colonies built around paved areas like sidewalks, foundational blocks, and driveways.
- A carpenter ant is ⅝” long, red, black, or red and black, and has a large head and mandibles. Find this pest inside structures of wood like fallen trees, stumps, and lumber.
The Problems Ants Can Cause In Your Chicago Home
It is easy to wonder are ants dangerous? Or do these pests pose any other serious problems when they invade area homes? The truth is, most species that live in our area do not pose serious risks to human health or property. Keeping this in mind, certain species spread bacteria, and others damage structural wood. If you notice piles of sawdust near your home’s structural wood or see ants crawling over left-out food, take action immediately.
Easy & Effective Ant-Prevention Tips For Chicago Homes
If you are looking for how to prevent ants from invading your Chicago home, one option you have is to put in place some easy and effective ant pest control measures. Here are just a few ant pest control solutions you can do on your own.
- Use a caulking gun or some liquid cement to seal off holes, cracks, and gaps in your home’s exterior foundation.
- Make sure all of your window/door screens are in good condition and installed properly.
- Install door sweeps under exterior doors and make sure they make a tight seal.
- Repair damage to your home’s weatherstripping.
- Repair or replace structural wood that is water damaged, rotting, or in decay.
- Keep your home as clean as possible.
Safe & Effective Ant Control For Chicago Homes
Although DIY home pest control for ants helps deter these pests, it is by no means a guaranteed solution. The only way to ensure that ants get and stay out of your Chicago home is to hire an ant control solutions specialist. At Aerex Pest Control, we offer detailed indoor and outdoor ant control measures to help homeowners like you find freedom from these problematic pests. All of our ant control solutions are designed to fit your individual needs and are built to stand the test of time.
Call today to find out more about ant control in Chicago and find a solution through Aerex Pest Control to keep your home protected year-round.