Eliminating Bed Bugs Strategies For Effective Bed Bug Control For Your Home In Chicago
Bed bugs are dreaded external parasites. They are frequent features on the news and are notorious for invading any property that provides them with a blood meal. They thrive in our warm homes and, being nocturnal, are challenging to control. Most people do not know they have an infestation until the later stages.
These tiny bugs feed on our blood, causing itchy welts and allergic reactions. Unfortunately, they are resilient, incredibly adept at hiding in small cracks, and spread rapidly. Professional interventions are the best way to eliminate them for good.
In this article on bed bug control in Chicago, IL, you will learn to understand their habits and traits and how they can affect your well-being. You will also get valuable long-term prevention solutions to eliminate infestations and prevent them from returning.
Bed Bug Behavior: Understanding Their Habits And Traits
Understanding bed bug behavior is essential to control potential infestations. Here's what you need to know about these small and reddish-brown parasitic insects:
- They feed at night. Bed bugs are nocturnal creatures. While they can theoretically be active in the daytime, they prefer to feed on their hosts at night. Our body heat and the carbon dioxide we breathe out enables them to locate us as they look for food. They pierce our skin and draw blood for about five to ten minutes before moving on and can survive for several months without feeding.
- They reproduce fast. A single female can lay hundreds of eggs in her lifetime. They are about the size of a pinhead and cling to surfaces until they hatch roughly a week later. The nymphs will molt several times before adulthood. You could get mature bed bugs in as little as a month.
- Bed bugs are adept at hiding. They can squeeze their flat bodies into tiny cracks, usually in bedrooms and other areas where they can obtain a convenient blood meal. Look in your mattress seams, electrical outlets, and other common hiding spots. Detection and elimination are challenging because they can get into hard-to-reach areas.
- Bed bugs can move quickly. Unlike fleas, bed bugs do not jump. Still, they are remarkably mobile thanks to their small size and flat bodies. They can also hitchhike on luggage and used furniture, effectively spreading from one location to another.
- They are resilient and adaptable. Bed bugs can thrive in a wide range of temperatures, with 70 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit being optimal. They can resist conventional treatments that used to be effective and require time-tested strategies for total elimination.
- They leave clues behind. You can spot infestations early if you know what to look for. Common signs include rust-colored stains on your bedding, molted exoskeletons, and visible live bugs. If you suspect the presence of bed bugs in your home, call us immediately to eliminate them before they can reproduce further.
There are many ways to eliminate bed bug infestations for good. One of the most common methods is a non-toxic and comprehensive heat treatment strategy.
Bed bugs are susceptible to high temperatures. With heat treatments, we will increase the temperature in infested areas of your home to levels lethal to these insects, around 120-140°F. This process has many advantages, including that heat can easily reach all potential hiding spots. It will kill bed bugs in all life stages, from eggs to adults. It's also a non-residual method that won't leave behind chemical traces that could harm you or your pets.
Heat treatment can take as little as a day, with a low likelihood of needing multiple interventions, thanks to its immediate impact. It can eliminate bed bugs in a single treatment, reducing the inconvenience and discomfort associated with prolonged pest control measures.
Preparing for heat treatment involves specific steps, like removing heat-sensitive items and electronics. Our experts will answer all your questions to ensure complete eradication and a satisfactory outcome. We can provide periodic checks to confirm we've eliminated the problem for good.
While heat treatments may initially appear more expensive than conventional methods, they are comprehensive and quick. Their benefits often outweigh the long-term costs of multiple treatments.
Call Aerex Pest Control to learn about our safe and effective bed bug treatments and options for long-term protection.
At Aerex Pest Control, your satisfaction is our priority! See for yourself what our customers have to say about working with us.
Mark arrived early after calling to let me know we could start earlier if that worked with my schedule, it did. He was friendly and thorough.- Meredith C.
Mike is very friendly, cooperative. He knows our house well as to where there are concerns for critter control. We are very happy with Aerex.- Judith N.
Mike showed up on time and was friendly with our crazy dogs and familiar with the house, even though he hasn’t been here in a while. Can’t ask for more for a semi-annual service and serviceman.- Cissy G.
We've used Aerex for 20+ years at 2 locations. They are prompt, courteous & effective. Our regular service person, Wally, listens to current problems & applies the correct solutions to the problem. If needed within 30 days, a second visit is schedu- Harry S.
Great company with professional people - such a pleasure working with! We have been using Aerex Pest Control at our properties for 10+ years and we couldn't be happier with the choice we made. The team from the office is always friendly, ready to help. The- Mi B.
Jordan our technician was great. He’s very helpful and willing to assist us with dealing with our problem. He explains our issues and helps in determine what needs to be done.- Gary B.
I have been using Aerex for over 20 years. Every tech that has come to our house has been incredibly knowledgeable, kind and respectful. They get the job done efficiently and always go the extra mile. They are all dog lovers too so that works when my dog g- Sheila B.
I especially like Tony who has been doing my house for over 10 years. He is very very trustworthy and clean and pleasant. Please let him know what l say here.- Linda T.
Want all the latest news or updates? Browse through our blog to read our most recent posts and featured articles.