Should I Be Worried About The Spiders I Find In My Chicago Home
It can be startling when you step out of the shower and almost step on a hairy spider on the floor. When you walk through a web on your back porch, the first thing you're going to be concerned about is whether or not a spider was on that web and whether or not it is currently crawling on you. If you take a box out of storage, the last thing you want to see is a spider when you open the box.
There are many ways spiders might make you uneasy or cause you to jump out of your skin, but how worried should you be? How dangerous are spiders in Chicago? Let's take a look.
How Likely Is A Spider To Bite You?
- Some spiders can bite you, others can't. Some have strong venom, others do not. It is important to keep in mind that, even if a spider can bite you and it has a venom that is potentially toxic to your system, it doesn't mean you need to live in fear of it.
- Dangerous spiders tend to be reclusive. Brown recluse spiders even have the word "recluse" in their name. These spiders can and do bite people, but it is rare. Bites usually occur when these spiders are accidentally brought into close contact with the skin. An example of this is picking up a towel with a spider on it.
- Black widow spiders don't prefer to be indoor spiders. If a black widow spider finds its way into your home, there is a good chance it's going to find its way back out again.
- A dangerous spider can bite you and not inject venom into the wound. This is called a dry bite.
- Most brown recluse bites do not result in a spread of necrosis. As many as 85 percent of brown recluse bites will not amount to more than an itchy red wound with an ulcer at the center.
If you implement a few simple spider-prevention tips, you can significantly reduce the threat of dangerous spiders.
If you invest in year-round pest control for your Chicago home, you can reduce the risk even further.
If you are worried about spiders, it is likely that you are worried for one of two reasons. Let's look at these reasons and consider the dangers.
Pain. All spiders have fangs, but not all spiders can bite you. Some species don't have fangs that are strong enough to break through the skin of a human. We have more than a few spiders in Chicago that can bite humans, and when a spider bites you, it can be painful.
The amount of pain a spider can inflict depends on the species, and it also depends on your physiology. You may experience a pinch, a pin prick, or intense pain and burning.
Venom. All spiders have venom, but some spiders have stronger venom than others. In our area, the two spiders to be concerned about are the black widow and the brown recluse.
Both are native to the area and both could cause a wound that needs medical treatment.
At Aerex Pest Control, your satisfaction is our priority! See for yourself what our customers have to say about working with us.
Mark arrived early after calling to let me know we could start earlier if that worked with my schedule, it did. He was friendly and thorough.- Meredith C.
Mike is very friendly, cooperative. He knows our house well as to where there are concerns for critter control. We are very happy with Aerex.- Judith N.
Mike showed up on time and was friendly with our crazy dogs and familiar with the house, even though he hasn’t been here in a while. Can’t ask for more for a semi-annual service and serviceman.- Cissy G.
We've used Aerex for 20+ years at 2 locations. They are prompt, courteous & effective. Our regular service person, Wally, listens to current problems & applies the correct solutions to the problem. If needed within 30 days, a second visit is schedu- Harry S.
Great company with professional people - such a pleasure working with! We have been using Aerex Pest Control at our properties for 10+ years and we couldn't be happier with the choice we made. The team from the office is always friendly, ready to help. The- Mi B.
Jordan our technician was great. He’s very helpful and willing to assist us with dealing with our problem. He explains our issues and helps in determine what needs to be done.- Gary B.
I have been using Aerex for over 20 years. Every tech that has come to our house has been incredibly knowledgeable, kind and respectful. They get the job done efficiently and always go the extra mile. They are all dog lovers too so that works when my dog g- Sheila B.
I especially like Tony who has been doing my house for over 10 years. He is very very trustworthy and clean and pleasant. Please let him know what l say here.- Linda T.
Want all the latest news or updates? Browse through our blog to read our most recent posts and featured articles.