Total Ant Prevention For Chicago Residents
Ants may not seem like much of a threat or nuisance, but if they’re in your Chicago home, they can cause significant problems.
Here’s what Chicago homeowners should know about the types of ants you may find in your home, which ones bite, and how to prevent them or get rid of them quickly if you do have them.
How Can I Tell What Type Of Ants Are On My Chicago Property?
The first step to ant prevention is identifying the types of ants on your Chicago property.
Some of the most common kinds of ants you may encounter include:
- Argentine ants: With dark brown to shiny black coloring, Argentine ants can live beneath sidewalks or inside homes as long as they have a food source. Their colonies are known for growing quite large, so these ants can quickly become a big nuisance.
- Carpenter ants: Their coloring can range from red to black, and carpenter ants prefer to feed on water-damaged wood. Over time, these ants can cause a lot of structural damage if the infestation goes untreated.
- Odorous house ants: Odorous house ants have a big sweet tooth, and they get their name from the rotten coconut-like odor that they emit when they’re crushed.
- Pharaoh ants: With yellow coloring, Pharaoh ants are easy to identify, but they’re not just a nuisance-they can also spread bacteria and may contaminate your home or other buildings.
- Small honey ants: These small ants tend to live in small colonies and are usually more active in the colder months. While you may find them outside, but these ants can also nest indoors.
You may not hear much about ant bites, but there are a few species in Chicago that can bite – such as carpenter ants. However, carpenter ants are not aggressive and usually only bite if they feel threatened or cornered.
Their bites may cause mild irritation or swelling like a bug bite, but they are not considered medically dangerous.
Even if carpenter ants are the only species capable of biting, other species, like pharaoh ants, can still cause harm by contaminating your home with dangerous bacteria. You may hear someone talk about being bitten by a fire ant, but this bite is much more likely a sting. Fire ant stings are extremely painful and can cause issues for those who are allergic to fire ant venom or those who are stung repeatedly. However, these stings do not generally require medical attention.
At Aerex Pest Control, your satisfaction is our priority! See for yourself what our customers have to say about working with us.
Mark arrived early after calling to let me know we could start earlier if that worked with my schedule, it did. He was friendly and thorough.- Meredith C.
Mike is very friendly, cooperative. He knows our house well as to where there are concerns for critter control. We are very happy with Aerex.- Judith N.
Mike showed up on time and was friendly with our crazy dogs and familiar with the house, even though he hasn’t been here in a while. Can’t ask for more for a semi-annual service and serviceman.- Cissy G.
We've used Aerex for 20+ years at 2 locations. They are prompt, courteous & effective. Our regular service person, Wally, listens to current problems & applies the correct solutions to the problem. If needed within 30 days, a second visit is schedu- Harry S.
Great company with professional people - such a pleasure working with! We have been using Aerex Pest Control at our properties for 10+ years and we couldn't be happier with the choice we made. The team from the office is always friendly, ready to help. The- Mi B.
Jordan our technician was great. He’s very helpful and willing to assist us with dealing with our problem. He explains our issues and helps in determine what needs to be done.- Gary B.
I have been using Aerex for over 20 years. Every tech that has come to our house has been incredibly knowledgeable, kind and respectful. They get the job done efficiently and always go the extra mile. They are all dog lovers too so that works when my dog g- Sheila B.
I especially like Tony who has been doing my house for over 10 years. He is very very trustworthy and clean and pleasant. Please let him know what l say here.- Linda T.
Want all the latest news or updates? Browse through our blog to read our most recent posts and featured articles.