Homeowners sometimes think of ants as nothing more than nuisances. However, they can cause many problems if they settle onto your property and start growing their colony, making pest control in Chicago a must to keep your household safe.
If you have spotted an ant trail in your home, now is the time to learn to identify common ant species, as some are more dangerous than others, understand why you shouldn't ignore an ant infestation, find out why you need to call the pros at the first sign of a problem and start applying practical tips to prevent them from returning.
Identifying Common Ant Species
There are many types of ants in Chicago, but here are the ones our Aerex Pest Control experts deal with most often:
- Pavement ants: Commonly found in urban areas, these dark ants build nests under sidewalks and driveways. You might notice small mounds of soil near the openings.
- Carpenter ants: These larger ants excavate wood to create their nests and can cause significant structural damage if left unchecked.
- Pharaoh ants: Often found in warm climates, these yellowish-brown ants establish colonies in hard-to-reach areas like wall voids and electrical outlets.
- Odorous house ants: They emit a strong, unpleasant odor when crushed. Some say it is not unlike rotten coconut. They usually invade homes searching for food.
- Flying ants: Also known as swarmers, these reproductive ants emerge during mating seasons in large numbers.
All these types of ants can cause varying degrees of destruction in your home, which could worsen if you ignore the problem hoping it will go away on its own.
Don't Ignore An Ant Infestation
Ignoring an ant infestation can lead to various problems. First and foremost, ants are highly social insects that establish large colonies with thousands of members. If left untreated, the infestation can quickly escalate, resulting in a large invasion of these unwanted guests in your home.
Also, ants are persistent in finding food sources. Their foraging trails can contaminate stored food and cause health risks. Certain species, like carpenter ants, can also cause structural damage by tunneling through wood, compromising the integrity of your property. And some ants, such as pharaoh ants, can also carry and transmit diseases.
Ignoring an ant infestation can also impact your peace of mind, as these pests can be very frustrating. Still, you can implement targeted ant control measures today to prevent further frustration by contacting a professional pest control service like Aerex Pest Control.
Contact The Professionals At The First Sign Of Ants
Contacting professionals at the first sign of ants is vital for many reasons, including that our experts have the expertise and knowledge to accurately identify your ant species and assess the extent of the infestation. As you might suspect, different ant species require specific treatment methods. Still, our specialists can employ targeted strategies for swift elimination.
Also, early intervention can prevent the infestation from spreading and becoming more challenging to manage. Ant colonies multiply fast; the longer you delay in addressing the issue, the more time they have to establish nests and satellite colonies. You can nip the problem in the bud and minimize potential damage by working with us.
And finally, we use safe and effective treatments for long-lasting solutions, which DIY treatments rarely do. Call us at the first sign of ants for a swift and thorough resolution to this unwanted problem and to discover ant prevention tips that work.
Tips To Prevent Ants From Returning
The following tips outlining ant control for homeowners can prevent ants from returning:
- Wiping down countertops, sweeping floors, and cleaning up food sources will reduce their incentive to invade. Keep food tightly sealed in containers and stored in areas inaccessible to ants.
- Close cracks in anything from windows to walls can prevent ants from finding entry points.
- Take out the trash regularly, keep bins tightly sealed, and remove standing water sources indoors and outdoors.
- Branches and more can act as bridges for ants to access your property.
Implementing these prevention measures can significantly reduce the likelihood of ants returning to your property.
Aerex Pest Control is your go-to pest control company for complete and long-term home pest control in Chicago. Call us today to get started.