Chicago’s Pesky Cockroaches: How To Keep Them Out Of Your Home
March 4, 2022
Cockroaches are the kind of pest that you don’t want lurking in or around your Chicago home. Why? Not only are these pests dirty, but they are known to carry disease-causing bacteria which affect the intestine, such as dysentery, cholera, diarrhea, salmonella, E. coli, and typhoid fever. In some cases, the presence of cockroaches alone—coupled with their waste and shed skin—is enough to trigger asthmatic reactions.
Read on for more about identifying cockroaches in Chicago and why cockroaches in Chicago are dangerous. Decide whether you should call pest control to get rid of roaches in Chicago and learn how to keep roaches from coming back in Chicago.
How To Identify Cockroaches In Chicago
German cockroaches are the most common cockroach to infest homes in the Chicago area and worldwide. These cockroaches:
- Range in size from 1.1- to 1.6-centimeters long
- Vary in color from tan to very dark brown
- Have two parallel lines that run from the back of their heads to the base of their wings
Why Are Cockroaches In Chicago Dangerous?
Cockroaches are dangerous for two reasons:
- They pose a risk to human health and safety, and;
- They cause a disturbance in homes by dirtying surroundings and living spaces.
Cockroaches contaminate surfaces and food, such as pantry items, with their saliva and waste, which causes bacteria to spread onto these surfaces and puts your family and friends at risk of contracting cockroach-borne diseases.
Should You Call Pest Control To Get Rid Of Roaches In Chicago?
German cockroaches share a long, reliant relationship with humans. This cockroach species can’t survive away from humans or their associated activities. Because they’re so dependent on us, it can be difficult for homeowners to eradicate these pests independently.
There are a few other reasons why it’s important to call pest control if you come across cockroaches in your Chicago home. German cockroaches have a lifespan of up to 100 days. Still, during this time, adult female cockroaches can yield about 200 offspring, which causes a seemingly small infestation to become overwhelming in a short time.
The professionals at Aerex Pest Control have more than 70 years of experience treating cockroaches and other pests for Chicago homeowners. Aerex offers homeowners peace of mind with a pest-free guarantee by knowing that their pest problem will soon be no more. If you suspect you have cockroaches or for information on other pests, call Aerex Pest Control today at 847-255-8888.
How To Keep Roaches From Coming Back In Chicago
The most effective way to keep roaches from returning to your Chicago home, aside from ongoing pest control services, is with preventative action. Consider the following three tips to dissuade roaches from taking up residence in your abode:
- Properly Store Trash: Cockroaches are known for infesting dumpsters and trash bins, feeding on rotting food and other discarded materials. Properly storing trash in a lidded container and, if possible, storing trash outside and away from the home keeps its contents out of reach for these pests.
- Properly Store Food: Cockroaches gravitate to kitchen areas, where they may find available food, stored food, or fallen food particles. They are specifically known to target pantries, and adequately storing pantry items in airtight, lidded, glass containers can keep these pests, and other pantry pests, out of stored food.
- Address Moisture Issues: Cockroaches need a high level of moisture to survive, which is why they’re also commonly found in bathrooms, around drains, and leaky plumbing. Resolving plumbing problems can be an additional safeguard against these pesky pests.