How To Keep Ticks Away From Your Chicago, IL Property
August 6, 2021
Some of the most medically dangerous pests in the world are those that drink blood. They usually target both animals and humans, making the likelihood of disease transmission high. Generally, these bugs go unnoticed because of their small size and painless bites. People won’t know they’ve been nibbled on until they see skin inflammation, welts, and/or lesions.
Ticks are just one insect species that absorbs blood and is known for spreading illnesses. It’s difficult to manage their populations. Chicago home and business owners should study up on local subtypes, so they can bolster their prevention efforts accordingly. Find out what your options are and how Aerex Pest Control can be of assistance.
What Ticks Are Common in Chicago? What Are the Hazards?
Deer and American dog ticks are very prevalent in the city. As their name reveals, deer ticks favor those animals and similar livestock. Domestic pets and humans aren’t off their radar though. Sometimes these bugs are called “black-legged ticks” because of the color of their eight legs. Their 0.14 to 0.20 of an inch long bodies are brown or reddish-brown. However, the females can reach 0.39 of an inch following a feeding. If you’re bitten, you may come in contact with the Lyme disease bacterium that the ticks harbor.
American dog ticks aren’t that different from their deer-centric relatives. First, they have an alternate title. They’re often referred to as “wood ticks.” Second, their skin is the same shade. Third, they too have four sets of legs. The insects are also 0.20 of an inch long, but the females will grow to be 0.59 of an inch after a feast.
Three key things to know about ticks are:
- They live outside: Shady and humid zones filled with animals are ideal for these critters. Be cautious when you’re in woody and grassy areas, including your yard. It’s easy for ticks to latch onto you or your pet.
- Take their bites seriously: Use fine-point tweezers to remove ticks on your body. Don’t pierce, crush, jerk, or twist them. Get medical attention right away if you feel sick or have weakness, headaches, fever, nausea, or breathing complications.
- They disperse significant diseases: Ticks are associated with tularemia, Heartland virus, ehrlichiosis, and other possibly fatal conditions.
What Can Be Done to Prevent Ticks?
If you want to keep ticks at bay, you’ll have to be intricate with your exterior and animal care. In addition, you’ll need to exercise selectivity when going in natural settings:
- Mow the lawn and trim greenery on a routine basis. Get rid of organic debris.
- Use tick repellent products before being outdoors.
- Put on a long-sleeved shirt and pants before entering a tick-friendly space. Wear long socks and boots.
- Examine your skin and clothes when you’ve been outside. Inspect your animal’s fur as well.
- Discuss tick deterrence and treatments with your pet’s veterinarian.
- Wash and groom all pets and land animals regularly.
- Contact Aerex Pest Control if you have critters ticks could use as a host, such as rodents.
How Will Aerex Pest Control Handle Ticks?
Commercial tick products won’t resolve mass issues. Their level of effectiveness tends to be low. Another aspect to be wary of is that many of these avenues are toxic. You won’t have to worry about potency or chemical exposure with Aerex Pest Control. Our skilled technicians will use thorough and safe treatments designed to wipe these bugs out. Among our solutions are interior and exterior systems and perimeter barriers. Guarantees are attached. When you call today, you’ll be offered a free quote and a no-obligation inspection.